Wednesday 18 February 2015

A little joy from traveling : Calvados Pays D´Auge Réserve – Famille Dupont

I was a bit dissapointed after my return from vacations in France. While traveling, we visited many wine shops and never seen broader offer of cognacs. French classics were everywhere. And only one deli shop offered Leyrat brand. Racks were rather full of whiskey, rum or gin.  Weird experience. I expected Nice, largely visited by Russians and Chinese, to be more “ready” in this way. 

Anyway, I bought calvados in a wine shop to bring home at least something good. I decided for Calvados Pays D´Auge Réserve – Famille Dupont.


Calvados Pays D´Auge Réserve
How is Calvados Pays D´Auge Réserve produced?

Exact portions of apples from each type—sweet, bitter and  acidic are mixed together, crushed and squeezed out. The juice is fermented, and  being double-distilled six months later and aged in 400 l oak casks for at leat four years.

Notes from tasting Calvados Pays D´Auge Réserve 

Colour: light amber

Aroma: aroma of freshly harvested green apples

Taste: juicy green apples, slightly bitter, mint tones

Experiment

The French calvados inspired me to make a little experiment. I got 5 liters of Slovak “jablíčkovice” (traditional apple spirit) as a birthday present whis is a bit “stronger”.  Now I plan to buy a toasted oak cask from Czech cooper, fill it with my birthday spirit and “age it” for the next 5 or more years. Let´s see what will happen. Hope it will work out! 

Twitter: @dropoflush
Mr. Beer Home Brewery Kits!




No comments:

Post a Comment